How to Write a TOK Essay: Writing Tips from Professional Writers
Since TOK essays are so special, you should be definitely aware how to write a TOK essay if you want to succeed in academic writing. TOK essay topics are special and TOK essay structure is special, so you need to be aware of all their features. When you get TOK essay requirements, you need to be sure that you will have to deal with a specific scientific paper rather than an ordinary academic essay. Therefore, be prepared that the task of writing a TOK essay will not be easy. Make sure that you devote yourself sufficient time for the paper preparation, literature review, pre-writing stage, and the overall writing stage. Only with ample diligence and hard work will you be able to provide an outstanding piece of writing.
Our company’s professionals have devised a specific guide on how to write a TOK essay to help you manage this writing type successfully. If you carefully study the TOK essay guidelines provided below, you will definitely succeed in writing.
TOK Essay Format: What Is Important to Consider
One of the reasons why it is hard and challenging to write a TOK essay is the complicated TOK essay format. It is important to stock to a specific mode of TOK essay organization. First, if you wonder how to write a good TOK essay, you need to formulate a good essay topic. It should reflect the areas you plan to cover in the essay. Make sure the topic is appealing – it needs to hook readers’ attention and make them maintain interest on the whole paper till its very last sentence. Second, you need to make sure you are interested in the topic. Only if you are passionate about what you write, you will be able to succeed in writing. However, apart from choosing a topic that is interesting merely for you, it is important to take into consideration the interests and preferences of your target audience.
Is There a TOK Essay Word Limit?
No, there is no specific word limit in TOK essays. The most important thing is to discuss the topic from A to Z and include all the important arguments, discussions, and conclusions. If you are writing a TOK essay as a separate assignment and if the topic has been chosen on your own, you are free to decide on the word count limit unless it properly discusses the information. However, if you have been assigned a TOK essay at university or college, you should definitely clarify the TOK essay word count from your professor or academic supervisor.
A Step-by-Step Instruction on How to Structure a TOK Essay
As soon as you move closer to the writing process, you will find out that the process of TOK essay writing is time-consuming and tiresome. Particularly, if you have no idea how to write a TOK essay, the process will be really challenging. Therefore, it is essential to investigate the TOK essay structure, format, organization, and style. Check out the following guidelines on how to obtain proper TOK essay structure.
- When you explore the TOK essay structure, you will find out that it resembles that of the other academic papers. Still, there are some important elements that you need to consider. Check out the following strategies on how to write a TOK essay that meets all paper requirements.
- Start with an introductory paragraph, where you provide background information as well as explain the topic and the scope of research in particular.
- Develop the main paper argument. Make sure it is strongly and clearly formulated. Having developed an argument, please remember to add sufficient supporting evidence and add some justification.
- Make sure you provide a counter-argument alongside with your main argument. Here you need to provide justification, too.
- Provide a conclusive paragraph, where you sum up the whole paper carefully.
The introductory paragraph of the TOK essay has the same aim as an introduction of the other papers. The introduction should serve the purpose of attention-hook and maintain readers’ attention and focus throughout the whole paper. Moreover, it should focus on the topic explanation and discussion of the topic within a broader subject realm. To put it simply, an introductory paragraph is the very first contact that your readers get with your paper. Therefore, it is important to pinpoint to what you cover in the paper, what you write about, what you explore, what you aim to prove, etc. Sometimes, you should even state your opinion on the problem in the introductory paragraph as well. To hook the audience’s attention, it is recommended to start the paragraph with some surprising fact, some controversial idea, etc.
The main body of the TOK essay is, however, different from the rest of academic papers. The structure, as a result, differs as well. The main task is not merely to provide your opinions, viewpoints, and ideas but also to make the paper argumentative by providing arguments and counter-arguments. Moreover, all arguments provided should be also adequately supported and justified. By separately discussing arguments and counter-arguments and including them in separate paragraphs, you will maintain proper paper format. To ensure smooth flow of writing, you will need to use transitions between ideas and paragraphs. Moreover, when elaborating on the ideas discussed in the body paragraphs, keep in mind your target audience and adjust the content according to their interest.
The conclusion of the TOK essay aims to concisely summarize all the key findings you have included in the paper. Therefore, in case of a TOK essay, the conclusion does not differ from the rest of academic papers. After you have composed a conclusion, the writing process is over.
After conclusion, proceed to the post-writing stage, namely the process of revision, editing, and proofreading. Make sure you check your paper for the possible content, grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes, as well as typos.
Get a Price Quote:
TOK Essay Titles 2019
- Do you agree that poverty belongs to some of the social constructs? Discuss this statement and provide proof based on research findings.
- Do you agree that there is a connection between violence and the increasing trend of playing computer games? Do you agree that this fact has sociological and psychological background?
- Do you agree that corporal punishment can be considered ethical depending on the situation.
- Provide an evaluation of the ethical dilemma on euthanasia within the scope of medicine and adjacent areas.
- Do you believe that there are specific ways that enable one to get to know other people in a better way?
- Do you agree that humans are creatures that are seeking for habits? Discuss the topic by using psychological and sociological concepts.
- Do you believe in the statistical proof that racial background is decisive for the intelligence and the overall level of IQ? Gather sufficient supporting evidence.
- Investigate the concepts of affection and love based on the theory of free will.
- Do you believe that people could free themselves from the information overload and plagiarized content? Investigate how the creative processes have changed.
- Your opinion on intuition. Is it decisive for the processes of decision-making and the way of conduct?
- Are there any proofs that people can rely on their sixth sense? In what areas of knowledge can they be manifested?
- Do you believe that the society and governmental organizations should legalize abortions?
- Do you believe that you can and derive some knowledge and insights from others’ experience or is it crucial to have your own experience to be able to learn from it?
- What role do the morals and morality play in the process of decision-making?
- Does the knowledge you obtain impact the general understanding of various issues? Provide specific reasons and examples from your own experience.
- The role of nutrition in preventing cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and other types of serious illnesses.
- Do you believe there are only two methods of acquiring knowledge – active experimentation and passive observation? Provide examples.
- Where can you find more supporting evidence: in the Big Bang theory or the theory of evolution?
- Is pre-marital sex unethical? Provide solid reasons to support your argument.
- Do people value more the knowledge that was obtained with difficulty?
- Do you agree that people are more motivated to learn new things when they spend money in the process of knowledge acquisition?
- What role does the shared knowledge have in molding personal knowledge?
- Please pinpoint to the relation between understanding and theoretical knowledge.
- How are money and happiness connected. Do you believe that a person can be happy without money? On the contrary, do you agree that very rich people can also feel unhappy? Provide examples and illustrations or share examples from your personal experience.
- How far do you agree that obesity and other eating disorders are psychological problems?
- Discuss the short-term and long-term effect of artificial intelligence on people.
- Are there any people responsible for the well-being of the less fortunate?
- Do you agree that animal testing should be totally eradicated? What advantages and disadvantages will it bring? It is possible to do without animal testing? What other consequences are possible?
- How do violent TV shows, films, and computer games negatively impact on children’s psyche?
- Do you believe that suicide is considered an immoral act? Do you agree that people should be taken for mental treatment if they have at least once attempted to commit a suicide?
- Do you believe that aggression and violence are inherent in human nature? Is it really a basic instinct?
- What are the outcomes of children regularly playing computer games?
- Do you believe that arranged marriages are better and stronger? Which evidence can you provide?
- Discuss and analyze the issue of cloning within the realm of ethicality and morality. What impacts may it have on the society?
- Do you believe that sex offenders and murderers can be rehabilitated? What treatment or therapy could be possible for them?
If you follow the tips and strategies provided above, you will definitely ease the process of TOK essay writing. Moreover, with the help of the TOK essay guide provided by our expert writers, you will be able to boost your academic performance.
Tok Essay Example (The Roles Played by Reason and Imagination in at Least Two Areas of Knowledge)
Both imagination and reason have great role in such fields as physics and history taken for an analysis. In fact, imagination is believed to be central for history and not so important for physics. Further studying and researching has shown that this is not completely correct to think so. Moreover, one of the greatest conflicts of the Western civilizations was the problem of reason and imagination. I presume that the role of certain reasonable factors in most of areas depends on the essence of the investigated field of knowledge. For example, the role of reason in history is more important than the same in art. In the field of natural sciences, such as physics, human beings frequently use their feelings and sympathies rather than proclaim the supremacy of reason in relationships and human affairs.
Albert Einstein commented the process with the help of which he developed his theory of special relativity. He stated:
A new idea comes suddenly and in a rather intuitive way. That means it is not reached by conscious logical conclusions. But, thinking it through afterwards, you can always discover the reasons which have led you unconsciously to your guess and you will find a logical way to justify it. Intuition is nothing but the outcome of earlier intellectual experience.
Therefore, experts use the method of combination the imagination and reason for their studies, breaking the stereotype of perceiving history and physics only as the logical disciplines.
To prove a great role of a reason in history, we can refer to the works of the most prominent historians of last century that investigated a diversity of historical problems and issues. For instance, Albertini's The Origins of the War of 1914, Nevins' Ordeal of the Union, Adams' History of the United States are regarded the greatest works in this area. These scholars accumulated facts, stated them, put them in sequence and, thus, made it possible for an average citizen to understand the logic of historical events. Though, it has to be said that modern universities produce such valuable archives as aforementioned ones. It became obvious that history can frequently be the source of ideologization. In such a situation, historians do not produce or apply for the help of vivid and legal documents as sources of history. They just use their imagination, which is not really pertinent for highlighting and analyzing the events of the past.
Eventually, I think it is something that modern history lacks. The 18th century was the Age of Reason. The movement of those times rejected to believe in miracles, mysticism, religious ideas, and superstitions. It was full of pursuit of knowledge, observing the universe, inventing new fields of knowledge. In the times of Earlier Enlightenment, historians were free to analyze independently all what happened on certain territory and were able to hold and express their own opinions in the way they wanted to. Particularly, a thinker from Germany Immanuel Kant defined the concept in this way:
Enlightenment is the liberation of man from his self-caused state of minority. Minority is the incapacity of using one's understanding without the direction of another. This state of minority is self-caused when its source lies not in a lack of understanding but in a lack of determination to use it without the assistance of another.
Hopefully, the earlier best traditions will revive at least for history.
Another point is the meaning of the imagination for history. In the XX century, a philosopher Collingwood stated that all the historical knowledge of people was grounded mainly on the imagination of the latter. Nevertheless, his response was only addressed to positivists who argued that history has to be based only on the scientific theories. Carl Hempel gave his explanation of the meaning of explaining the event. To understand an event and its causes in history, scholars usually just reference the set of necessary information and sources. On the contrary, he supposed that History is not the subject to be understood with the help of the narrow historical terms as it is not a theoretical model. His held an opinion that a historian has to imagine the event and be able to see it through the eyes of certain figure and engage his fantasy. Only in that way he can gain the full understanding of the events.Therefore, the importance of the imagination is a controversial version of this scientist's position. The point is that the prevailing theory has always stressed that historians should analyze sources and debate over them to explain the problem from different points of view.
Frankly, I believe that the only way to solve this dilemma is to synthesize these two methods of analyzing the events and comparing the events with a personal opinion and how could it be.
Thus, it seems clear how we ought to act when analyzing the events of history. In the same way, it is necessary to look at the problems from the scientific perspective. Scientific disciplines usually take reasoning as the main way to prove the righteousness of a particular statement, formula, or salvation of a problem. For sciences, we apply the inductive method of investigating almost every time. Experiments are such examples. When an experiment is made again and again, and it shows the same outcome, a scientist will use it as an evidence for his theory. Nonetheless, exceptions still can take place. To prove it, we can see that Newton's laws of motion were not fully investigated, and Einstein was the first to research their problem. It occurred that these laws were useless in occasion with bodies that moved with high speed. To achieve this outcome, Einstein had to use his imagination as it would not be possible without considering the issue from various positions
What is more, natural sciences use inductivism. It states that flow of reasoning goes from particular to general. However, additional tools for the cognitive process are perception and language. While observing, a scientist directly uses reasoning. One draws hypotheses and assumptions depicted by the use of physics' terms. These hypotheses are supported with current knowledge of scientist and further experimentation. With the help of experimentation, one is able to generalize a law through the result and then come to a theory.
In physics, we can see a lot of topics that demand involving the ability to imagine something or even create something new using imagination. Not always it is available for us to look with our own eyes on the mechanisms of work which are investigated by physics. Additionally, not everything in the world is invented. Such fields are quantum physics, studies about the universe, and molecules just to list a few.
This is the way in which imagination can be used in various sciences, no matter what its subject is. All people discover problems with the help of their imagination, then applying it to arguments that can be used. As Albert Einstein has aptly noted, "Imagination is simply abstract, yet powerful". Here, it is important to advocate to methods by which scientists can get together reason and imagination. With the help of observation, a physicist notices any result, and with the help of imagination, the results will fit in a certain model. For example, the modeling of space within a particular place is an idea (imagination works). Imagination itself is a sub-process of the human thinking systems, which are bound to the university and based on some physical processes simultaneously. It is irrational to believe that imagination of any process will be outside of the current list of physical laws. In these conditions, we can only imagine the outcomes of the specific theories and experiments. For instance, a physicist can assume that gravity is attractive while considering in the area of classical mechanics. Hence, a mind of any scientist can imagine the following:
- What would it be if the gravity has been repulsive?
- What if it would not exist?
It is superstition that physicists should ignore their imagination. Most people are confident that physicists ought to save their status quo and their ideas are to fit some set rules and expectations from other individuals. Physicists are not limited with what they were taught or what they have already known or they just do not want to go ‘outside of the box'. On the contrary, I will agree with Einstein. Imagination is really more important for a physicist rather than for historian.
Another problem is that physicists use their creative mind rather than the mind of physicist is applying criticism. Every time when anyone tries to put something new and fresh into the science, one is ‘shot down' by one's colleagues that just do not want to recognize something new in the science.
Nevertheless, there are two big trumps in the hands of such creative scientist, and these are their advantages:
- Scientists can intend numerous things in modern life as there are so many phenomena that we know now and did not know before. Most of the facts in physics were invented in last centuries. We can improve the system and current laws of physics since we live in the world of highly developed technologies. Besides, there are so many things we have to discover. We cannot always admit our own boundaries of mind or already existing laws and ideas.
- The second thing is that practicing physicists study new things and do not study something that is already verified. They research something that is unknown yet, and questions they set cannot be answered by someone at once.
To conclude, it has been evidenced that it is useful for both historians and physicists to engage their imagination and fantasy into the process of exploration. While making hypotheses for the physics theories, scientists use imagination to make the result fit for a certain model. On the other hand, historians can apply reason and logic to bound together events and find the specified legitimacy. Obviously, creativity and reasoning are two opposite means that help scientists in different fields create something new when they are put together.